June 24, 2011

Course Reflection





In this course, we were tasked with developing an online orientation course for new distance learners who are enrolled in a distance learning course or training workshop. This course is based on a pre-selected scenario and be built using the knowledge we gained as Instructional Designers to prepare the course adequately. Upon doing this, I would like to provide my reflection regarding distance education, its future and my current role in implementing it.
           
Future perceptions of distance learning in the future

I believe distance learning will continue to hold a place in education in the future as a popular choice for learning and instruction but it will not replace face-to-face instruction.  The definition of distance learning is an institution-based, formal education where the learning group is separated, and where interactive telecommunications systems are used to connect learners, resources and instructors. (Simonson,2009) In order to have some type of “learning group,” you have to have a commonality which, in this case, is the learning process and content. This commonality is what will bring people and has brought people together especially in a physical environment. And in order to be separated, you must initially have a group which is together physically such as on a campus or remote location. Secondly, with variations of learning styles and modalities, there will always be a need for some students to meet physically with their Instructor. Having physical access to the Instructor is a factor in student motivation in an online and face-to-face class. (Gallegos & Schmidt, 2001)  True educators would not sacrifice student motivation for distance learning. Finally, there is “research on the effectiveness of distance education [which] clearly shows that students who learn at a distance do not learn any worse, or any better than traditional students.  Until the data shows otherwise, distance education will not be a replacement for traditional instruction.

Being a proponent for improving societal perceptions of distance learning
There are many myths, misconceptions and perceptions that exist regarding distance learning. As an Instructional Designer I would use my knowledge of course design and the future of distance learning to combat some of those myths, misconceptions and perceptions. To be a proponent for improving those perceptions, there are two tasks I would focus my attention on. First, I would make sure there is an adequate understanding of course design and the best structure for a distance learning course. This may mean having a roundtable discussion with other managers, trainers and subject matter experts to explain my role in the course design process, their contributions and how their contributions assist in the course building process. Secondly, I would make sure with each course design, that I am thoroughly applying the principles of the ADDIE model (Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation and Evaluation) to ensure the course is designed and created appropriately for its intended purpose.

Be a positive force for continuous improvement in the field of distance education

I believe one way to be a positive force for continuous improvement is evaluation, evaluation and evaluation!  This last step in the ADDIE model involves not only looking at what was done but providing feedback for updates, revisions or improvements to a course. These evaluations will not only come from the Instructional Designer but faculty, Instructors and the students themselves. Through this method we learn what worked, what didn’t and how some pre-existing factor in the course can continue to assist in the learning process.  Woodley and Kirkwood provide six categories of evaluation that are applicable to most distance learning courses: Measures of activity, efficiency, outcomes, program aims, policy and organization. I believe these six categories along with the ADDIE model will provide a global picture of the distance learning experience and how it can continue to change to foster student motivation, collaboration and success.

Additional Personal Reflection
Currently as an Instructional Technology Coordinator, I not only provide and conduct training in my school district but I also create and facilitate courses for teachers, school-based administrators and employees. This course has presented me with an administrative view of what it means to build and improve the distance learning opportunities in my district. Mid-way through this course, I was assigned a web-based course to teach in Moodle for teachers. I was fortunate to have this opportunity because it afforded me the chance to apply what I have learned. The course, not effectively built, is going through a revision stage and I am able to provide revisions and recommendations to improve the course. I am also able to use what I learned about the students in my distance learning environment and increase their success either through higher-order thinking in discussion boards or remain in constant contact to encourage them. This course has also shown me additional technologies that I can use like videoconferencing to provide instruction for my students. As monies for professional development drive us to provide more Internet-based PD, I will continue to implement strategies to teach and learn at a distance.

References


Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). The Future of Distance Education [Video webcast]. Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=5089759&Survey=1&47=41145&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1


Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

No comments:

Post a Comment